Best Bikes for Overweight Females
No matter your body type, you should be able to exercise and participate in sports to your heart’s content.
But for many plus size women, finding a good bike can be a struggle. Bikes can have uncomfortable seats and difficult balances that make riding a painful experience.
However, bike manufacturers have noted these problems and designed bikes that can accommodate heavy women.
We’ve put together a list of some of the best women’s bike for overweight.
Best Bikes for Overweight Females
|Brand Name||Wheel Size||Number of Speeds||Type of Seat|
|#1. Kent North Woods|
Our Best Pick
|26-inch wheels||21 speed||Average|
|#2. Firmstrong Chief|
|26-inch wheels||3 speed||Average|
|#3. Schwinn Wayfarer 500|
|26-inch wheels||7 speed||Spring|
|#4. Firmstrong Urban|
|26-inch wheels||1 speed||Oversized|
|#5. Schwinn Wayfarer 700c|
|26-inch wheels||7 speed||Average|
#1. Firmstrong Urban Beach Cruiser Bicycle for Ladie
This is one of the best bikes on the market for women, particularly plus sized women. Firmstrong has been a renowned manufacturer in the bicycle industry for some time.
Many passionate and professional cyclists swear by the durability and quality of this model.
The actual bicycle is available in a number of different colors, so it can suit anybody’s individual taste. You also have multiple specifications and options to find the perfect fit for your body.
There are 18 colors and combinations to choose from.
The bike can be found in a number of different sizes, so it can accommodate women of multiple different body shapes and weight.
The 24-inch model is made for women between 4 feet and 5.2 feet tall. This series also comes with a 26-inch model that has one speed.
A number of other models can be found in the line. The highest includes 26-inch wheels and 7 speeds. It’s designed for women between 5 and 6 feet tall.
There are other options that make this a particularly ideal bike for plus sized women. The oversized seats have dual springs to add a level of comfort.
You also have access to wide ballooned tires that cushion your ride, helping keep you from jolting over every bump and crack in the road.
There are easy-use cruiser brakes and wide handle bars with a simple rubber grip.
- There’s a lot to love about this bike.
- The oversized seat and dual springs are a joy. Plus sized women who like to cycle often find that average saddles begin to hurt and wear out too quickly. This bike comes with a saddle that actually suits your body type instead of working against it.
- The wide handlebars are a win not only because they provide better grip and balance, but because they let you ride for longer without getting tired.
- Many bikes have super thin tires that can make cycling difficult. The thicker balloon tires on this bike help to pad you against bumps and jostling. They also return your confidence and natural assurance in your bike.
- The multitude of color choices are ideal as well, since you can find a bike that suits your personal aesthetic. With 18 combinations to pick from, you have more variety than you’ll find with a lot of other bikes. Because the line comes in multiple sizes as well, you can find a bike that suits your particular height and weight.
- This is a bike that’s also fairly easy to assemble, regardless of your level of expertise. Professional-level cyclists and newbies alike can put together the bike. If you like DIY projects, you’ll find that the entire bicycle can be assembled in fewer than 20 minutes.
- There are a couple of potential drawbacks to this bike.
- Some consumers have noted that the fenders aren’t as strong as they would like. In comparison to all the great things about the bike, this isn’t a huge problem, but it’s worth noting.
- The paint finish can also be a rather light coating. Unlike thicker coatings of paint, this bike’s paint is vulnerable to scratching if it’s not cared for and ridden through rough environments. However, you should be able to avoid most scratches by being careful.
#2. Firmstrong Chief Beach Cruiser Bicycle for Ladies
This is another excellent bike brought to the market by Firmstrong. It’s no surprise that multiple Firmstrong bikes have made our list, given that the company is currently leading the bicycle manufacturing industry.
This particular bike has a durable build that can suit overweight women from 5’4″ to 6’4″.
The bike is constructed with a durable steel frame. This is a different material from more common aluminum frames, and it can sometimes hold overweight riders’ bodies more ideally.
The white-wall balloon tires allow you to have a super enjoyable, cushioned ride. The most important aspect of the design is the “forward” configuration that lowers the seat toward the ground but allows taller riders to have proper leg extension.
As far as speed goes, you have three different options. There’s a 1-speed, 3-speed, and 7-speed model. No matter what type of terrain you tackle or how often you ride uphill, there’s a bike model that can suit your purposes.
The last notable feature is the 8 different colors and color combinations. You can choose whatever bike is most suited to your personal aesthetic.
- There are a number of great features that set this bike apart.
- The model comes with standard coaster brakes that are easier to use than many other bicycle brakes. No matter your body type, fitness level, or level of riding expertise, you won’t have a challenge when it comes to using the brakes.
- The forward-pedaling design makes this model great for taller women, since the seat is close to the ground but the legs are fully extended.
- Another ideal aspect is the different options for speed. You have your choice of a 1 speed, 3 speed, or 7 speed model, so you’ll be able to tackle any kind of terrain with ease.
- The bike has an elongated frame that makes it even better for tall women. Many tall women struggle with short or normal frames for bicycles. An incorrectly-sized frame can cause severe leg pain after just a short cycling distance.
- The 8 color options are another bonus, as you can pick a bike that suits you no matter your personal style.
- As with any bike, there are some potential drawbacks.
- This model doesn’t come with a standard carriage. This means that if you want a carriage for your bike, you’ll need to make a separate purchase.
- The wide handlebars are great for tall women, but they may be too wide to accommodate shorter women and women with shorter arms.
#3. Schwinn Wayfare Hybrid Bike for Women
This hybrid bike is meant to combine the merits of multiple biking sports into one. You can use it as a mountain bike, touring bike, or road bike.
No matter whether you’re riding to work, going grocery shopping, or tackling a mountain path over the weekend, this bike has you covered.
The bike comes with 7 gears, making it more capable of handling rough and uphill terrain than bikes with fewer speeds.
It also includes a lifetime warranty, so you can get a replacement or replace parts for as long as you have ownership of the model.
In addition to this, the bike is made of steel and has a shiny polish. There are coordinating fenders and a rack in retro urban fashion, which is rare to find in women’s bikes, particularly when you’re shopping as a plus-size woman.
The bike allows you to access both rear and front bikes that are accessible and easily used. Having multiple brakes ensures that your braking will be efficient, so you can have confidence no matter what terrain you’re biking on.
- The hybrid design is ideal for women who want a versatile bike. You can use it as both a mountain bike and a beach bike, so it’s suitable for any kind of terrain.
- You can brake with confidence since the two sets of brakes ensure you won’t be stuck with failing brakes.
- The 7 gears allow you to tackle multiple challenges posed by the terrain and road.
- The bike includes a standard carriage that’s great for women who need to carry children or bring luggage too heavy for the handlebar basket. You don’t have to purchase a separate carriage.
- The standard fenders are helpful when you’re cycling on a dirt road or riding over wet paths. Many models don’t come with this option.
- There are only a few potential drawbacks.
- The first is that the bike is only available in one color, a mint green.
- The second is that while the bike does have a back carriage, it doesn’t come with a handlebar basket.
#4. North Woods Springdale Hybrid Bicycle for Women
This bicycle sets itself apart from many other models because it’s one of the only all-purpose bikes on the market with a 21-speed system and alloy rims.
There’s a stunning combination of front and rear brakes, standard fenders, a rear rack, and a seat that allows a comfortable riding position, this bike can be used for both transportation and sporty outings.
The bike is crafted by hand with a sturdy aluminum frame that can last for multiple years. A wide, comfortable seat has been anchored by a quick release clamp to allow easy adjustment.
This means that the model can suit women of multiple different heights and body types.
The bike does come with some stickers that may not suit everyone’s aesthetic, but you can pull them of easily. It’s a handy and fast bike well-suited to its overall purpose.
- The bike is fitted with standard alloy rims, which are both novel and adorable.
- The 21 speed system ensures that even the roughest and steepest terrain can be easily conquered.
- The bike’s overall construction is solid enough that you shouldn’t need to do preventative maintenance for a long time. There’s also a standard rear rack to carry light luggage.
- The bike is one of the heavier options, weighing more than other bikes of the same class.
- It’s only available in one color.
- There isn’t a default basket for the handlebars, so you need to buy and fit one on your own.
#5. Schwinn Wayfarer 700c Bicycle for Women
This is another bike from Schwinn that has multiple interesting features. You can choose from 3 different colors: white, mint, and cream.
It has the look and feel of a classic beach bicycle, but the all-purpose design lets it function in any occasion.
The build is super comfortable, with a swept-back handle bar design that allows upright riding. You also have alloy brakes that allow precise stops, along with full fenders that help you use the bike in all potential weather conditions.
- The alloy brakes aid you in making swift, precise stops.
- The full rear and front fenders let you enjoy your ride in multiple weather conditions and levels of wetness.
- You can select from 3 potential colors to suit your personal aesthetic.
- The design is more stylish than many other hybrids. It’s hard to compete with the carefree “beachy” look.
- The swept-back handlebars help keep your posture straight and let you cycle without causing pain to your back and legs.
- There’s only one real issue with this bike. It comes with a standard seat that tends to be too hard for most users. This can be a big drawback with plus size women, since seat comfort is so important.
- With that said, it’s very easy to buy a more comfortable seat and replace the standard one. If the other aspects of the bike appeal to you, this option will be worth it.
>>Check Best Bike Seat for Overweight Riders
Final Thoughts – Best Bikes for Overweight Females
Either of the Firmstrong bikes is a great choice. The first has multiple options that allow it to suit any rider, while the second is great for taller riders thanks to its forward-pedaling design.
The Schwinn Wayfare 500 bike is a great option for sporty women who want to tackle multiple terrains, since it functions as a mountain bike and tour bike.
The North Woods bike has 21 speeds, making it the most versatile bike on the list.