5 Best 2-Person Backpacking Tents Under $100
There’s a lot that goes into picking a good camping tent. You need to find a tent that, first of all, fits everyone on your trip. You also need to remember to get one designed for the season you’re camping in, and find a design you like with the right number of tent doors.
If you’re going to be packing your tent, you’ll need it to be lightweight enough for you to carry. You also need to think about tent pole material, and make sure you pick something light and durable. With so much to keep in mind, it can be exhausting to wade through the options.
To help you out, we’ve put together this short list of the five best tents we know about—you’re welcome! All you need to do is read on and pick your favorite.
Quick Comparison: Best 2-Person Backpacking Tents Under $100
|Tent||Packed weight (Pounds)||Number of Doors||Season||Waterproof||Pole Material||Price|
|Slumberjack Trail||6 lbs 5 oz.||1||3||Yes||Fiberglass||Check Price|
|ALPS Mountaineering Meramac||8 lbs. 0 oz.||2||3||Yes||Fiberglass||Check Price|
|ALPS Mountaineering Taurus|
Our Best Pick
|7 lbs. 7 oz.||2||3||Yes||Fiberglass||Check Price|
|Weanas Waterproof Aluminum||4.5lbs||2||3||Yes||Aluminium||Check Price|
|Survivors Shire||5lb 3.2oz||2||3||Yes||Aluminium||Check Price|
1.Slumberjack 2-Person Trail Tent
This 2-person tent is both sturdy and secure. It’s water resistant, and it is well-insulated. It tends to be a little heavier than some tents, since the poles are fiberglass, but this reduces the risk of the tent flying away in high winds.
It’s also easy to set up, and folds down into a small, compact size that is manageable. It is weather-resistant and holds up not only against rain, but also snow.
One of the best things about this tent is that it actually fits as many people as the box advertises. Some tents just don’t have enough room for two people; the Slumberjack has room for two with space to spare.
- This tent is weather resistant.
- It is easy to set up and tear down.
- It’s compactible.
- The tent has a nice look.
- It has plenty of room for two people and their bags.
- This tent is a little heavy. It would be good if it were lighter for backpacking trips.
- Some users have had issues with the elastic snapping.
- Some users have has problems with water soaking into the tent.
- The bottom of the tent is thin.
- It needs to have a vent, because it can get hot in the summer.
This tent is worth the purchase. It is more than worth the cost for its quality. Most people don’t have a problem with leaking, but some people find precipitation in their tent after a few uses, so it might be wise to bring along a waterproof tarp just in case.
If you’re very strong, you may be able to use this as a backpacking tent; otherwise, it’s best for use when you’re driving to a campsite. Overall, this is a good tent choice.Check Price and more reviews on Amazon
2.ALPS Mountaineering Meramac Two-Person Tent
The ALPS Mountaineering Meramac tent is a great choice for summertime camping in particular. The tent is weatherproof, with a sturdy rainfly that keeps off the precipitation. It also has great ventilation, since it has zippered mesh windows.
It’s possible to seal heat in on cool nights or let it out on hot nights. There are two doors, with an awning over each. It has sturdy fiberglass poles to hold the tent in place.
- It has good ventilation.
- The tent is weatherproof and features a full rain cover.
- The tent is easy to set up.
- It is priced well.
- It is light enough for comfortable backpacking for many users.
- If you want to fit two people in the tent, you can’t keep your gear in there with you as well.
- A two-person air mattress does not fit inside the tent.
- Some users found this tent to be too heavy for backpacking.
- You must use the rain cover, or you will not be well-protected from the elements.
This is one of the best tents out there. If you’re looking for a sturdy, reliable tent that you can take into the elements, this is a great choice. If two adults want to camp, however, you may need to find a bigger tent.
This one comfortably fits one adult, two kids or a child and an adult. If you’re camping solo, it’s the perfect tent. If you’re camping with your significant other, it may not be comfortable unless you like to snuggle while you sleep.Check Price and more reviews on Amazon
3.ALPS Mountaineering Taurus Two-Person Tent
If you’re a stargazer, this just might be the tent for you. There are mesh vents in the roof, so you can remove the cover and look up into the night sky on warm nights. While this leaves you a bit vulnerable to the elements, the tent also has options to keep out unwanted wind and rain. When you zip up the vents, the tent is sealed and will stay free of precipitation all night. It also has sturdy fiberglass poles to keep the tent in place.
- Although this tent is a 3-season tent, some users have been comfortable even in the winter months.
- Comes with a mesh pocket to stash your little items.
- It’s easy to set up.
- It has two doors.
- Extremely waterproof.
- The windows are clear plastic with no covers, so it doesn’t feel as private.
- The roof is very low, so it can be hard for tall people to move around.
- It is made of thin material.
- It is a bit too heavy for long backpack trips.
This is an excellent tent! You won’t have to deal with any weather issues if you use this tent. However, it’s not ideal for public campgrounds because of the plastic windows that can’t be covered. It’s not easy to see in, but it’s possible, and that can be uncomfortable. However, the tent is fairly roomy and very durable, so you may be able to overlook the window issue.Check Price and more reviews on Amazon
4.Survivors Shire Tent
The most unique feature on this tent is the rain flap that can be set up like a porch over the door. You need two trekking poles to use it, which are not included. The tent also has a rain fly to keep off water. It fits two people and has a nylon carrying bag for trekking. It also has aluminum poles, so it’s a lighter tent than can be used for backpacking. It’s designed to be used in both recreational and survival scenarios.
- The tent has two zippered doors.
- The rain fly offers extra protected gear storage outside the tent.
- The tent is lightweight.
- This tent isn’t really big enough to be a two-person tent.
- If the flap is left open, water can drip in the tent.
This is an ideal tent for backpacking. The design keeps out the rain, but allows you to enjoy the weather on nice nights. It’s light and easy to carry, and it sets up without problems. If you don’t mind spending a little extra money, then it’s definitely worth it.Check Price and more reviews on Amazon
5.Weanas Waterproof Aluminum Tent
This tent can sleep up to four people, yet it’s light enough to pack during a trek and easy enough to be set up by one person. Strong aluminum poles keep the tent in place, which waterproof materials keep the inside of the tent nice and dry during the rain.
- This tent is compact. It can fit in a large backpack.
- It is easy to set up.
- It is light enough for backpacking.
- This tent comes in three different sizes: 2-person, 3-person, and 4-person.
- This tent is weatherproof.
- The bottom gets muddy if you don’t put a tap under the tent.
- It is made of thin material.
- It can barely fit the number of people it claims to. It is definitely not as big as you would expect.
- Some people have had issues with parts breaking. It doesn’t appear to be the norm, but it has happened.
This is a great tent, but don’t expect to fit the number of people that the test supposedly sleeps! You can count on fitting half the people that the tent is meant to fit. That being said, the tent is a good choice for backpacking trips. It’s small, compacts easily, sets up quickly, and is very light. You do have to be careful not to tear the mesh, but other than that the tent is durable.Check Price and more reviews on Amazon